Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Searching for the Dress

While on my quest for the dress, I felt like I was struggling. I couldn't find any dresses that really stood out to me. I kept coming back to dresses with four characteristics, although never on the same dress: cap sleeves, lacey, flowy, or flower details.

After a year of looking, I felt like I was never going to find "THE DRESS". Then, I went to a Wedding Show in Boston and came across Madeleine's Daughter, a boutique in Portsmouth, NH. A little out of the way, but they had this dress:
I was instantly in love. I loved the lace and the flowy bottom. I'm partial to empire waists, so it had extra appeal. Shortly after the show, I had booked an appointment a state away. I dragged Newport Mom and Sister Newport along.

We got there and I wasn't impressed with the dress. I liked it, but I didn't LOVE it. I also was annoyed by the silver sequin swirl on the top of the dress, it seemed out of place and really bothered me. I worked with Kerry, my sales consultant at Madeleine's Daughter.

I gave her my budget and the four things I liked. I showed her some pictures and pretty much said everyrthing I liked and didn't like about each one. She ended up showing me dresses I never would have thought of and I was starting to actually think I'd find "the dress".

She brought out dresses with cap sleeves, lace, flower details and dresses that flowed:
She brought out one dress with amazing flower details, but it was less modest than I would like. I realized quickly, I did not want a v-neck. The dress was shot down quickly, although I really love the flower details on the top: I then tried on a dress with cap sleeves. I loved the top of this dress, but wasn't crazy about the bottom. It was too form fitting for me. Although I did love the laced up back. I thought it was different. I then tried on a flowy dress. It was a dress by Emerald Bridal. They were having a sample sale, so the dress would be 15 % off and under my budget. It was simple, and I loved it when I tried it on in the store.
I thought it was the one. By the end of the day, I thought a couple dresses were the one. I went from having the dilemma of not loving any dresses to having the dilemma of not knowing which dress to choose.

Did you have a hard time finding a dress you liked?

4 comments:

Jen said...

Oh such a hard task it is - do not feel bad! The GOOD thing is they all look beautiful on you; so it's really just finding one you like best!
I had gone to running of the brides so tried on about 50 dresses in less than an hour and with the help of my 10 closest families and friends found "The One". But we're all different! I realize my situation was not totally "normal"!

Nicole-Lynn said...

I'm looking too... I am focusing on price so it's hard! Good luck!

honey my heart said...

i remember that we had to really look for a dress that fit our small budget, but we did find a great one. the flowy dress you have on is very pretty. good luck deciding!

Kelly and Steve said...

I bought an Emerald Bridal dress! Love it, and I love that people have barely heard of it so my dress remains somewhat unique in the bridal world of everything being the same!