Monday, February 22, 2010

People Toppers

Mr. Newport hasn't had many requests for the wedding other than no tux and he really wants a "people topper". I have been searching for the perfect "people topper" for over a year. At the begining of that year, I was reading one of my bridal magazines (Sorry I don't remember which one, I was subscribing to about 6 at the time) and I saw a Lladro topper. I had never heard of Lladro until I met Mr. Newport. FMIL Newport has been collecting Lladro since she bought her first piece on her honeymoon with FFIL Newport in St. Maarten, just over thirty years ago. When I saw the Lladro topper, I thought it was perfect. It is beautiful and it would be kind of sentimental.

Then I looked it up online...... I didn't realize how expensive Lladro is! There are two I found on the site that are absolutely beautiful, but I couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money.
Lladro's Together Forever and The Happiest Day A couple of months into the engagement, Newport Mom surprised us with "The Happiest Day" as an engagement present (after scouring Ebay and scoring an awesome deal!). It was my favorite because the groom is wearing khakis and a navy blazer!

It arrived and we were super excited, until we opened the box. The figurine is HUGE! I think it would sink if we attempted to use it as a cake topper. I think you'd need a large, sturdy cake to pull this off......so we were back to the drawing board. We decided we'll display this with our guest book, or sweetheart table. But we continued on our search for the perfect cake "people topper".

Then one night on my commute home, while flipping through the newest Brides magazine, I came up with people topper number 2. WeddingStar has a topper that is completely us.
Remind you of anything? Yeah, it reminds me of our proposal, too. The only problem? The bride is blonde, and I'm brunette. I was hoping for two brunette cake people. So I did some searching, and I couldn't find the True Romance Couple (name of the topper) with a brunette bride anywhere for sale, but I did find the frame below with my dream topper, yet it's not for sale anywhere on WeddingStar's site. It sactually says only blonde bride for sale.
I decided to contact the website, and I'm waiting to hear back. If that doesn't work, I'll be purchasing a blonde bride and giving her a little dye job.

Anyone else have trouble finding the perfect "people topper"? Actually for that matter, is anyone else having a "people topper"? They seem more and more rare these days, but the Newports still love them.

4 comments:

honey my heart said...

wow, the wedding star couple of the guy lifting the girl up is too perfect!! i hope you get it!

Nicole-Lynn said...

Very cute. How funny that was one of his requests :) Hope the one you like works out!

NYC Girl said...

OMG! I'm having the exact problem! This cake topper is perfect for us as well except for the blond bride. If you hear back from them let me know (my e-mail is BELCV at hotmail). Good luck for us!!!!

NYC Girl said...

FYI: NOT SURE IF THE ORDER WILL COME WITH BOTH BRUNETTE BUT I DID FIND THIS WEBSITE WHERE YOU CAN CHOOSE THE HAIR COLOR! I'LL LET YOU KNOW WHEN THE TOPPER ARRIVES! :) http://www.topsthecake.com/